Listen to the article
U.S. and Syrian Forces Come Under Fire in Palmyra Patrol Operation
U.S. and Syrian forces from the American-led coalition fighting the Islamic State terrorist group came under attack Saturday while on patrol in central Syria, according to multiple reports.
Two local Syrian officials told Reuters that the convoy was targeted during operations in the town of Palmyra, with initial reports indicating casualties. The Department of War acknowledged awareness of the incident but told Fox News Digital it had “nothing additional to provide at this time.”
The attack comes at a sensitive time for U.S. operations in Syria, where American military presence has been gradually scaling down. As of June, approximately 1,500 U.S. troops remained in the country, following withdrawals and consolidation efforts ordered by the Pentagon. This number is expected to decrease to just several hundred by year’s end, according to Fox News Chief National Security correspondent Jennifer Griffin.
U.S. forces originally established eight bases across Syria following their 2014 intervention to prevent ISIS from establishing a caliphate in the region. Three of these installations have since been closed or transferred to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), the primary U.S.-backed group in northeastern Syria.
“The United States, CIA and military forces are reportedly deeply involved in securing and stabilizing the situation in Syria,” explained Dan Diker, president of the Jerusalem Center for Security and Foreign Affairs, in a recent statement to Fox News Digital.
The attack highlights the ongoing security challenges in Syria, where multiple armed groups operate in proximity to U.S. forces. Despite the territorial defeat of ISIS in 2019, the terrorist organization continues to conduct guerrilla operations, necessitating a continued, if reduced, American presence.
The incident near Palmyra is particularly notable given the historic city’s strategic importance. Once controlled by ISIS between 2015-2017, the UNESCO World Heritage site and surrounding region have remained contested territory, with various factions vying for control since the group’s territorial defeat.
The attack occurs against the backdrop of significant political change in Syria. Earlier this week, tens of thousands of Syrians gathered in Damascus to mark the first anniversary of the Assad regime’s collapse. These celebrations commemorated the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s government, which ended five decades of Assad family rule when rebel forces swept through the country last year.
The U.S. military mission in Syria has evolved significantly since its inception. Originally focused on defeating ISIS, American forces have subsequently balanced multiple objectives, including preventing the resurgence of the terrorist group, protecting oil fields from falling into extremist hands, and maintaining strategic influence in a region where Russia, Iran, and Turkey all maintain competing interests.
Military analysts note that attacks on U.S. forces in Syria have occurred sporadically in recent years, with various armed groups including ISIS remnants, pro-Assad militias, and Iranian-backed forces occasionally targeting American patrols and installations. These incidents have typically resulted in limited American military responses, focused on specific threats rather than broader escalation.
The Pentagon has repeatedly emphasized that its mission in Syria remains focused on counter-terrorism operations against ISIS, though the practical implementation of this policy has grown increasingly complex amid Syria’s fractured political landscape.
As U.S. force levels continue to decrease in the country, questions remain about the long-term American strategy for Syria and whether sufficient troops will remain to accomplish stated counter-terrorism objectives while minimizing risk to deployed personnel.
Fact Checker
Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.


11 Comments
Concerning news about the attack on US and Syrian troops during their joint patrol. Tensions remain high in the region as the US scales down its military presence in Syria. It will be important to closely monitor the situation and any potential escalation.
Absolutely, these joint patrols are meant to coordinate counterterrorism efforts, so any disruptions are worrying. Let’s hope the investigation sheds light on what happened and that all personnel are safe.
This joint patrol operation highlights the complexity of the situation in Syria, with US and Syrian forces cooperating against ISIS even as tensions linger between the two countries. Maintaining security and stability will be an ongoing challenge.
The gradual US troop withdrawal from Syria is a delicate process that requires careful coordination with local forces. This attack is a sobering reminder of the risks involved and the need for continued vigilance against extremist groups.
This joint patrol operation seems to have encountered unexpected challenges. I hope the relevant authorities are able to swiftly investigate the incident, identify the perpetrators, and take appropriate measures to ensure the safety of all personnel involved.
While it’s positive to see US and Syrian troops working together against a common threat, this incident highlights the fragility of the situation. Maintaining security and preventing further escalation will be crucial as the US presence in Syria evolves.
Agreed. The US-Syria relationship is complex, and any missteps could jeopardize crucial counterterrorism efforts. Careful diplomacy and robust security protocols will be essential going forward.
The attack on US and Syrian troops during their joint patrol is concerning. It underscores the ongoing security risks in the region, even as the US continues to scale down its military presence in Syria. Vigilance and coordination between all parties will be crucial.
Absolutely. The situation in Syria remains highly volatile, and incidents like this have the potential to escalate tensions. Maintaining open communication and a shared commitment to stability will be essential moving forward.
I’m curious to learn more details about this incident – what was the nature of the attack, who was responsible, and what impact it may have on future US-Syrian military coordination against terrorist threats in the region?
Good questions. The lack of information so far is concerning. Hopefully the authorities provide more transparency around the specifics of the attack and its implications going forward.