Listen to the article
Two gunmen attacked a Hanukkah celebration on Sydney’s Bondi Beach on Sunday, killing at least 11 people in what Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described as an act of antisemitic terrorism that struck at the heart of the nation.
The massacre at one of Australia’s most iconic beaches is the deadliest shooting in almost three decades in a country known for its strict gun control laws. It comes amid a troubling rise in antisemitic incidents across Australia over the past year, though authorities have not suggested any direct connection to previous attacks.
One gunman was fatally shot by police, while the second was arrested and remains in critical condition. Police confirmed that one of the attackers was known to security services, although there had been no specific threat identified prior to the attack.
At least 29 people were wounded in the attack, including two police officers, according to Mal Lanyon, police commissioner for New South Wales. Authorities are examining several suspicious items, including what appeared to be improvised explosive devices found in one of the suspects’ vehicles.
“This attack was designed to target Sydney’s Jewish community,” New South Wales Premier Chris Minns stated. The violence erupted at the conclusion of a summer day when thousands had gathered at the popular beach, including hundreds attending the “Chanukah by the Sea” event celebrating the beginning of the eight-day Hanukkah festival.
Among the dead was Rabbi Eli Schlanger, assistant rabbi at Chabad of Bondi and an organizer of the celebration, according to Chabad, an Orthodox Jewish movement that conducts outreach globally. Israel’s Foreign Ministry also confirmed that an Israeli citizen was among the victims, though no further details were provided.
Emergency services responded to Campbell Parade in Bondi around 6:45 p.m. following reports of gunfire. Eyewitness videos captured the chaotic scene as beachgoers in swimwear fled from the water while shots echoed through the area. Other footage showed two men in black shirts firing long guns from a footbridge leading to the beach.
In a remarkable act of courage, fruit shop owner Ahmed al Ahmed reportedly tackled and disarmed one of the gunmen, an action Premier Minns described as making him a “genuine hero.” Australian television broadcast dramatic footage showing a man appearing to wrestle a weapon away from an attacker before setting it on the ground.
Arsen Ostrovsky, a lawyer who had moved from Israel to Australia just two weeks ago to work for a Jewish advocacy group, was grazed in the head by a bullet while attending the Hanukkah ceremony with his family. “What I saw today was pure evil, just an absolute bloodbath. Bodies strewn everywhere,” he told The Associated Press. “It was like reliving Oct. 7 all over. I never thought would be possible here in Australia.”
Melbourne resident Lachlan Moran, 32, described hearing gunfire while waiting for his family. “I sprinted as quickly as I could,” Moran said, noting that the shooting continued intermittently for about five minutes. “Everyone just dropped all their possessions and everything and were running and people were crying and it was just horrible.”
Prime Minister Albanese expressed his devastation over the massacre, calling it “an act of evil, antisemitism, terrorism that has struck the heart of our nation.” He promised that the violence would be met with “a moment of national unity where Australians across the board will embrace their fellow Australians of Jewish faith.”
The attack prompted global condemnation. King Charles III and Queen Camilla said they were “appalled and saddened by the most dreadful antisemitic terrorist attack.” UN Secretary-General António Guterres expressed horror, and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated, “The United States strongly condemns the terrorist attack in Australia targeting a Jewish celebration. Antisemitism has no place in this world.” Police departments worldwide, including in London, announced increased security at Jewish sites.
Australia is home to approximately 117,000 Jews in a population of 28 million. According to the government’s Special Envoy to Combat Antisemitism, Jillian Segal, antisemitic incidents in the country surged more than threefold in the year following the Hamas attack on Israel in October 2023 and Israel’s subsequent military response in Gaza.
Last year, Australia experienced a wave of antisemitic attacks in Sydney and Melbourne, where 85% of the nation’s Jewish population resides. These included torched synagogues and cars, graffiti on businesses and homes, and physical assaults. In August, Prime Minister Albanese blamed Iran for two of these attacks and severed diplomatic ties with Tehran.
Pastor Matt Graham of Bondi Anglican Church, which provided shelter to those fleeing the attack, noted that antisemitism has been increasing in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, including Bondi. “I’m surrounded by antisemitic graffiti constantly. I think for our community in the east, and as a Christian, I just want to declare I stand with the people of Israel,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Mass shootings are exceptionally rare in Australia, particularly since the government implemented strict gun control measures following the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, where 35 people were killed. Sunday’s attack represents the deadliest shooting in the country since those reforms were enacted, highlighting the shocking nature of the incident in a society where access to firearms is heavily restricted.
The attack has reopened wounds in a community already on edge and raised questions about the rise of extremism and hate crimes in a country that has prided itself on multicultural tolerance.
Fact Checker
Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.


20 Comments
My heart goes out to the victims and their families. No community should have to endure such a senseless and deadly attack during a time of celebration and joy. I hope the authorities can get to the bottom of this tragedy.
Australia is known for its strict gun control laws, so this incident is especially shocking. I hope the investigation can shed light on how the attackers obtained the weapons and explosives used. Public safety should be the top priority.
You’re right, this raises serious concerns about gaps in Australia’s security and gun laws. Addressing the root causes behind such extremism will be crucial to prevent future attacks.
The fact that this attack targeted a Hanukkah celebration makes it even more abhorrent. I hope the Jewish community in Sydney and across Australia can find strength and solidarity in this difficult time. Justice and accountability must be served.
This is a horrifying incident that strikes at the very core of Australia’s values of tolerance and inclusion. I hope the authorities can quickly determine the full scale and motives behind this crime, and work to prevent similar attacks in the future.
Absolutely. Protecting the safety and rights of all Australians, regardless of their faith or background, should be the government’s foremost responsibility in the wake of this tragedy.
How could such a brazen and deadly attack happen at an iconic Australian beach? The details are truly shocking. My thoughts are with the victims and their loved ones during this unimaginably difficult time.
Agreed, this is a horrific violation of public safety and trust. The investigation must leave no stone unturned to understand how such a well-planned attack could occur.
My condolences to the Jewish community in Sydney. No one should have to live in fear of such senseless violence during their religious celebrations. I hope the authorities can provide answers and justice for the victims’ families.
Absolutely agree. Protecting the safety and rights of all Australians, regardless of their faith or background, should be the government’s foremost responsibility.
The rise in antisemitic incidents across Australia is deeply troubling. This attack seems to be part of a broader trend of hate-fueled violence targeting minority communities. Combating bigotry and intolerance should be a top national priority.
This is a truly tragic day for Australia and the Jewish community. I hope the authorities can provide answers and justice, and that the country can come together to condemn such hateful violence in the strongest possible terms.
Well said. Unity, solidarity, and a resolute stand against bigotry and extremism will be key to healing and preventing future attacks of this nature.
This is a grim reminder that even countries known for strong gun laws are not immune to determined and violent extremists. I hope the authorities can quickly determine if this was an isolated incident or part of a broader threat.
This is a devastating attack on the core values of a free and open society. I hope the authorities can quickly determine the full scale and motives behind this crime, and work to prevent similar incidents in the future.
This is a truly tragic and senseless act of violence against the Jewish community. My heart goes out to the victims and their families. I hope the authorities can determine the motive and prevent such attacks in the future.
Absolutely, this is an unthinkable and despicable crime. Targeting a religious celebration with such brutality is beyond comprehension.
The fact that one of the attackers was known to security services but no threat was identified beforehand is very concerning. Improving intelligence gathering and threat assessment capabilities should be a top priority to prevent such attacks.
Absolutely. Addressing any gaps or breakdowns in information sharing and coordination between different law enforcement and intelligence agencies will be crucial.
The discovery of suspected explosive devices at the scene adds an even more chilling element to this attack. I hope the investigation can uncover the full scope of the plot and whether the attackers had any accomplices.