Listen to the article

0:00
0:00

France’s First Lady Under Fire for Using Sexist Slur Against Feminist Protesters

Brigitte Macron faced mounting criticism Tuesday after a video surfaced showing her using a derogatory slur to describe feminist protesters who had disrupted a performance by French comedian Ary Abittan.

The incident occurred Sunday at Paris’s historic Folies Bergère theatre, where cameras captured a backstage conversation between France’s first lady and Abittan, who was previously accused of rape. In the footage, Abittan expressed fears about performing after feminist activists had disrupted his show the previous evening with shouts of “Abittan, rapist!”

Attempting to reassure the performer, Macron responded with a sexist slur referring to the women protesters, adding, “We’ll toss them out.”

The first lady’s office quickly issued a statement defending her remarks, saying: “As the video shows, Mrs. Macron’s only intention was to reassure an artist who, in his dressing room before going on stage, had just told her, ‘I’m scared,’ because his show had been disrupted the previous evening.”

The statement continued, “In no way is she attacking a cause. She does, however, disapprove of the radical methods used to prevent an artist from performing on stage, as was the case on Saturday night.”

The feminist collective “Nous Toutes” (“All of Us”), which organized the original protest, sharply criticized Macron’s comments. The group explained that their actions were meant to protest what they described as “the culture of impunity” surrounding sexual violence in France.

On their Instagram account, Nous Toutes declared: “We denounce venues that roll out a red carpet for men accused of rape, normalizing sexist and sexual violence. It is a public insult to the victims. Victims, we believe you. Rapists, we do not forgive you!”

The controversy occurs against the backdrop of a complex legal situation involving Abittan. French media reported that magistrates terminated the investigation into a 2021 rape allegation against him in early 2024 for lack of evidence, a decision later confirmed on appeal in January.

The incident has quickly become politicized, with left-wing opponents of President Emmanuel Macron’s government condemning the first lady’s choice of words and calling for an apology. Among the critics was former French President François Hollande, who told broadcaster RTL: “There’s a problem of vulgarity.”

In contrast, representatives from the far-right National Rally defended Macron. Lawmaker Jean-Philippe Tanguy told broadcaster BFMTV that her comments were made in private and “stolen,” adding: “If each of us were filmed backstage saying things with friends, I think there would be plenty to comment on. All of this is very hypocritical.”

The controversy underscores the ongoing tensions in French society regarding sexual violence allegations and how public figures respond to feminist activism. France has seen numerous high-profile sexual assault cases in recent years, with the #MeToo movement gaining significant traction despite initial resistance from some quarters.

For Brigitte Macron, who has typically maintained a carefully curated public image as first lady, the incident represents a rare misstep. Since her husband took office in 2017, she has focused her public work on education initiatives and anti-bullying campaigns, generally avoiding controversial political statements.

The backlash highlights the increasing scrutiny of public figures’ attitudes toward feminist movements and sexual violence allegations, even in private settings. As social media continues to blur the lines between public and private remarks, the incident serves as a reminder that off-the-cuff comments can quickly become national news in today’s media environment.

Whether the first lady will issue a further statement or apology remains to be seen, but the incident has already sparked broader discussions about respect for feminist activism and appropriate responses to sexual violence allegations in contemporary French society.

Fact Checker

Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.

11 Comments

  1. Macron’s choice of words was clearly problematic, even if her intent was to support the performer. As a public figure, she should be more mindful of the impact her language can have, especially on marginalized groups. This incident highlights the need for more thoughtful, inclusive dialogue, even in difficult situations.

    • I agree. Macron’s comments were insensitive and unacceptable, regardless of her motives. Leaders must be held accountable for the consequences of their words, especially when they perpetuate harmful stereotypes or marginalize vulnerable communities.

  2. John P. Taylor on

    This is a complex issue without easy answers. While I don’t condone the use of slurs, it seems Macron was trying to calm the situation and support the performer. However, her choice of words was clearly insensitive and has rightly sparked outrage. Hopefully all parties can move forward in a more constructive manner.

    • You make a fair point. Macron’s intent may have been to de-escalate the situation, but the language used was still inappropriate and hurtful. As a leader, she should be held to a higher standard when it comes to respectful communication.

  3. This is a concerning incident that underscores the need for greater sensitivity and awareness from public figures. While Macron may have been attempting to defuse tensions, the use of a sexist slur was highly inappropriate and has rightly drawn strong criticism. As a leader, she should be held to a higher standard when it comes to respectful communication.

  4. I can understand the desire to support the performer, but Macron’s language was unacceptable. Even if the intent was to calm tensions, using a sexist slur against the protesters sets a poor example. Public figures need to be more mindful of the impact their words can have, especially on sensitive social issues.

  5. Elijah Thompson on

    This is a troubling incident that highlights the need for more thoughtful, inclusive dialogue, even in tense situations. While Macron may have been trying to help, her choice of words was clearly inappropriate and insensitive. As a leader, she should be held accountable for the impact of her language on marginalized groups.

    • I agree, Macron’s comments were unacceptable, regardless of her intent. Leaders need to be more cognizant of the power and influence of their words, especially when addressing sensitive social issues and vulnerable communities.

  6. While I can understand Macron’s desire to support the performer, the use of a sexist slur was clearly inappropriate and damaging. As a public figure, she should be held to a higher standard when it comes to respectful communication, even in tense situations. This incident underscores the need for more thoughtful, inclusive dialogue on sensitive social issues.

  7. Hmm, this is a sensitive situation. While I don’t condone the use of derogatory language, it seems Brigitte Macron was trying to defuse tensions and support the performer. However, her choice of words was unfortunate and has understandably drawn criticism. Hopefully this can be a learning moment on the importance of respectful dialogue, even in difficult circumstances.

    • Olivia Williams on

      I agree, the language used was inappropriate, even if the intent was to support the performer. As a public figure, the first lady should be more mindful of her words and their potential impact.

Leave A Reply

A professional organisation dedicated to combating disinformation through cutting-edge research, advanced monitoring tools, and coordinated response strategies.

Company

Disinformation Commission LLC
30 N Gould ST STE R
Sheridan, WY 82801
USA

© 2026 Disinformation Commission LLC. All rights reserved.