Listen to the article
Fact Check: Trump’s $1.5 Trillion Healthcare Claim Debunked as Shutdown Nears End
As lawmakers inch closer to ending the six-week government shutdown that began October 1, former President Donald Trump has repeatedly mischaracterized Democrats’ spending proposals in a claim that has gained traction among his supporters.
Trump has asserted on multiple occasions that Democrats “want $1.5 trillion for health care for illegal aliens.” He repeated this claim during an October 19 Fox News interview with Maria Bartiromo, again during his November 2 appearance on “60 Minutes,” and most recently on November 7, stating, “We’re not going to give $1.5 trillion to people that came into our country illegally.”
Policy experts and budget analysts, however, have categorically rejected this characterization.
“The claim is totally false,” said Leonardo Cuello, a research professor at Georgetown University’s McCourt School of Public Policy, in a recent interview. While Democrats have proposed legislation with an estimated $1.5 trillion price tag over ten years, this figure represents the entire spending package—not funding specifically earmarked for undocumented immigrants.
Kent Smetters, faculty director of the Penn Wharton Budget Model, clarified: “The legislation being advocated by Democrats as requisite to reopen government would be around $1.5 trillion over 10 years, but the large majority of that is not due to immigration, especially ‘illegal aliens.'”
Smetters noted that current annual spending on healthcare services for undocumented immigrants totals less than $5 billion, primarily covering emergency care that hospitals are legally required to provide regardless of immigration status.
The White House had previously released a memo claiming Democrats’ proposal “would result in nearly $200 billion spent on healthcare for illegal immigrants and other non-citizens over the next decade.” While still contested, this figure at least acknowledges “non-citizens”—a broader category that includes immigrants with legal status.
At issue are provisions in the One Big Beautiful Bill Act (OBBBA), recently rebranded by the Trump administration as the Working Families Tax Cut Act. The OBBBA changed Medicaid enrollment criteria to exclude certain categories of legal immigrants, including those granted asylum and parolees.
Democrats have sought to repeal portions of the OBBBA that affect “lawfully present” immigrants—a term referring to noncitizens with qualified immigration status who were previously eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program. This includes lawful permanent residents, refugees, and individuals granted asylum, among others.
Julia Gelatt, associate director of U.S. immigration policy at the nonpartisan Migration Policy Institute, described “lawfully present” as “a politically contested categorization” that is “not a category fully defined in immigration law.”
Crucially, as Cuello explained, these provisions don’t affect access for undocumented immigrants, who remain ineligible for federally funded comprehensive coverage under existing law. “Whether the health care changes in the OBBBA are repealed or not, it makes no change to coverage of undocumented immigrants,” he said.
The OBBBA also limited federal matching funds used to reimburse hospitals providing emergency care to immigrants. While Democrats proposed repealing this provision, Cuello clarified that hospitals would still be required to provide emergency care, with states still responsible for payment—the change would only affect the federal government’s contribution share.
When asked for evidence supporting Trump’s $1.5 trillion claim, White House spokeswoman Abigail Jackson initially referenced the memo citing the $193 billion figure before asserting, “President Trump is right—rather than support the bipartisan CR they supported 13 times during the Biden Administration, Democrats proposed a $1.5 trillion CR to provide free health care to illegal aliens.”
The Senate passed a procedural vote on November 9, suggesting the shutdown may end soon. As negotiations continue, Smetters offered a definitive assessment: “The $1.5 trillion is incorrect as applied to any type of immigration, legal or not.”
Fact Checker
Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.


10 Comments
While I appreciate the former president’s efforts to address immigration, it’s clear from this article that he has mischaracterized the Democrats’ proposals. I hope both sides can work together to find practical, fact-based solutions on this complex issue.
Well said. Constructive dialogue and a focus on the facts, rather than inflammatory rhetoric, will be key to making progress on this and other important policy challenges facing the country.
Interesting claim, but it appears to be false. Fact-checkers have debunked Trump’s $1.5 trillion healthcare claim for undocumented immigrants. The $1.5 trillion figure is the estimated cost of the entire spending package, not just for coverage of illegal immigrants.
You’re right, the experts have clearly rejected this characterization as misleading. It’s important to rely on factual, objective information rather than unsubstantiated political claims.
I’m curious to learn more about the actual policy proposals and cost estimates behind this issue. The article provides helpful context, but I’d be interested in seeing a deeper dive into the numbers and details.
That’s a good point. Digging into the specifics would give a clearer picture of what’s really at stake. Relying on unsubstantiated claims from political figures is rarely a reliable way to understand complex policy debates.
This seems like yet another case of a politician making inflammatory statements without regard for the facts. I’m glad to see journalists taking the time to thoroughly investigate and debunk these kinds of false claims.
Absolutely. Maintaining a fact-based, objective approach to reporting on political issues is crucial for ensuring the public has access to accurate information, rather than partisan rhetoric.
This seems to be another example of the former president making false or exaggerated statements about Democrats’ policy proposals. I appreciate the detailed fact-checking in this article to set the record straight.
Agreed, it’s concerning to see such blatant misinformation being spread, even long after the former president left office. Careful analysis of the facts is crucial to counter these kinds of false narratives.