Listen to the article
In a major development, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Wednesday it has launched an investigation into potentially fraudulent sexual abuse claims filed amid record-breaking settlements approved by the county earlier this year.
Los Angeles County recently agreed to pay over $4.8 billion to more than 11,000 people who alleged they suffered childhood sexual abuse while under county care, particularly at Probation Department facilities and the now-closed MacLaren Children’s Center. The settlement, believed to be among the largest sexual abuse settlements in American history, has now come under scrutiny as officials suspect some claims may be fabricated.
District Attorney Nathan Hochman said his office is “aggressively going after” individuals who submitted fake claims or were recruited to pose as plaintiffs. “These fraudsters come in a variety of different ways,” Hochman explained during Wednesday’s news conference. “These can be individual claimants that never suffered sexual abuse at any point at the hands of Los Angeles County, but they looked at this potential settlement as a way to get some free money.”
The Los Angeles Times previously reported that some plaintiffs in the $4 billion settlement were allegedly paid by vendors to sue the county, with at least two cases involving fabricated claims. According to the newspaper’s investigation, an LA law firm reportedly paid people to file false claims in some instances.
In an unusual move, Hochman offered a form of amnesty to individuals who were drawn into these alleged fraud schemes, promising that “we will not use your words against you in any criminal prosecution” if they come forward voluntarily.
The massive settlements followed the passage of California Assembly Bill 218, which temporarily lifted the statute of limitations on childhood sexual abuse allegations. This legislative change opened the door for thousands of previously time-barred claims against various institutions, including county facilities.
Hochman criticized the state legislature for not anticipating the financial burden the law would place on local governments. “When the state of California passed this, it provided zero dollars – zero dollars to pay for what they knew would be billions and billions and billions of dollars of compensation that were now going to be faced by every county, city and school district,” he said.
When the settlements were initially reached, LA County Counsel Dawyn Harrison acknowledged the potential vulnerability to fraud and committed to thoroughly examining each claim. The current investigation appears to be fulfilling that pledge, as officials work to separate legitimate claims from potentially fraudulent ones.
The MacLaren Children’s Center, which features prominently in many claims, operated as a residential care facility for children until its closure in 2003. The facility, along with various Probation Department sites, allegedly became places where vulnerable children suffered abuse while under county supervision.
According to Hochman, the total number of claims could potentially rise beyond 14,000, potentially costing the county billions more in additional settlements. The district attorney urged anyone with information about false claims to report it to authorities.
The investigation highlights the complex challenges facing government entities as they attempt to provide justice for legitimate abuse survivors while preventing fraud in high-value settlement cases. For Los Angeles County, which already faces significant budget constraints, ensuring that compensation reaches actual victims rather than opportunistic fraudsters has become a critical priority.
Fact Checker
Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.


8 Comments
This highlights the challenge of balancing compassion for victims with safeguarding against potential exploitation. I’m curious to see what measures the DA’s office plans to implement to validate the claims and weed out any fraudulent activity.
This is a difficult situation all around. I’m glad the DA is taking it seriously and pledging to pursue any fraudulent claims aggressively. Restoring confidence in the system while ensuring legitimate victims are supported will be a delicate task.
Abuse allegations are always sensitive and complex issues. I hope the DA’s investigation is conducted with the utmost care and diligence, respecting the rights and privacy of all involved. Maintaining public trust in the legal system is critical.
Well said. Striking the right balance between protecting victims and ensuring due process is essential. The integrity of the investigation will be key to its credibility and outcomes.
This is certainly a concerning development. It’s critical that the DA’s office investigate any potential fraud and ensure legitimate victims receive the support and compensation they deserve. Falsifying abuse claims undermines public trust and takes resources away from those truly in need.
I agree, the integrity of these claims must be thoroughly examined. Any fraudulent activity needs to be rooted out, while still providing justice and restitution for valid victims.
The scale of these settlements is staggering, which makes the prospect of fraud all the more troubling. I hope the DA’s probe is thorough and impartial, in order to uphold the credibility of the legal process and deliver appropriate outcomes.
You raise a good point. With such a massive payout involved, the incentive for false claims is high. Rigorous vetting is essential to ensure the funds reach the right recipients.