Listen to the article

0:00
0:00

Four civilians have been killed as intense fighting erupts along the Thai-Cambodian border, Thai officials announced Thursday. These are the first civilian casualties since hostilities resumed earlier this month, marking a significant escalation in the border conflict between the two Southeast Asian neighbors.

The violence began with a skirmish on Sunday that wounded two Thai soldiers, effectively collapsing a ceasefire that had been brokered by U.S. President Donald Trump in July. That agreement had temporarily halted five days of combat stemming from longstanding territorial disputes between the nations.

According to officials, approximately two dozen people have been killed in the renewed fighting, with hundreds of thousands displaced on both sides of the border. The humanitarian impact has grown substantially as civilians flee their homes to escape the intensifying conflict.

Thailand’s army reported that Cambodian forces initiated an artillery and mortar attack on Wednesday night against Thai positions. Thai forces responded with similar heavy weaponry, claiming to have destroyed enemy vehicles during the exchange. Meanwhile, Cambodia’s defense ministry spokesperson Maly Socheata accused Thailand of violating international law by using “all kinds of heavy weapons” and deploying large numbers of troops in what Cambodia considers its sovereign territory.

The conflict has attracted international attention, including from Pope Leo XIV, who expressed his distress at the Vatican on Wednesday. “I am deeply saddened by the news of the renewed conflict,” the Pope said, noting the civilian casualties and mass displacement. “I express my closeness in prayer to these dear peoples.”

The original ceasefire established in July came through Malaysian mediation and significant pressure from Trump, who threatened to withhold trade privileges unless the two countries agreed to stop fighting. The agreement was later formalized at a regional meeting in Malaysia that Trump attended in October.

Despite this diplomatic breakthrough, tensions persisted. Cambodia complained that Thailand failed to return 18 captured soldiers following the ceasefire implementation. Thailand, in turn, protested after its border patrol soldiers were wounded by landmines, which it claims were newly placed by Cambodia. Cambodian officials denied this accusation, insisting the mines were remnants from decades of civil war that ended in 1999.

Trump has expressed confidence in his ability to broker peace once again, stating he expects to speak with leaders from both countries. “I think I can get them to stop fighting. Who else can do that?” Trump told reporters Wednesday, while reiterating his claim of resolving eight global conflicts since returning to office.

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters in Bangkok on Thursday that the U.S. had not yet contacted Thailand following Trump’s latest remarks. Anutin, reflecting strong nationalistic sentiment in Thailand, has repeatedly vowed to continue military operations until Thailand’s sovereignty and security are assured. While not entirely ruling out negotiations with Cambodia, he indicated he would not enter talks simply at Trump’s request.

Both sides have deployed significant military assets in the conflict. Thailand has utilized jet fighters for airstrikes on what it describes as military targets, while Cambodia has employed BM-21 rocket launchers with a range of 30-40 kilometers. According to data from Thai public broadcaster ThaiPBS, at least six Thai soldiers were killed by rocket shrapnel.

The Thai army reported damage to residential areas near the border from Cambodian rocket fire. In one notable incident, Thai forces destroyed a tall crane atop a hill held by Cambodia near the ancient Preah Vihear temple, claiming it housed electronic and optical devices used for military purposes.

The human toll continues to rise. Thailand’s military announced Thursday that nine soldiers have been killed since Monday, with more than 120 wounded. The four civilian deaths were attributed not to direct combat but to underlying health issues during evacuation efforts. Cambodia reported 11 civilian deaths and 74 wounded on its side of the border.

At the heart of this dispute lies the Preah Vihear temple, a UNESCO World Heritage site. The UN cultural agency expressed “strong concern” on Wednesday about the fighting in the temple’s vicinity and offered technical assistance to protect the cultural property once conditions allow.

The Thai-Cambodian border conflict has deep historical roots, stemming from a 1907 map created during French colonial rule over Cambodia, which Thailand maintains is inaccurate. A 1962 International Court of Justice ruling that awarded sovereignty to Cambodia over the disputed territories continues to be a source of resentment for many Thais, fueling the ongoing tensions.

Fact Checker

Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.

10 Comments

  1. This renewed outbreak of violence along the Thai-Cambodian border is alarming. The humanitarian toll, with hundreds of thousands displaced, is unacceptable. I hope the leaders of both countries can set aside their differences and work towards a peaceful resolution that protects civilian populations.

    • Absolutely. Protecting human life should be the top priority. Both sides need to cease hostilities immediately and return to the negotiating table to find a diplomatic solution that addresses the root causes of this longstanding conflict.

  2. Emma I. Johnson on

    It’s concerning to see this longstanding border dispute flaring up again, with tragic consequences for the people caught in the middle. Both Thailand and Cambodia need to exercise maximum restraint and prioritize de-escalation to prevent further loss of life.

  3. The loss of civilian life is always tragic, regardless of the geopolitical context. I’m concerned about the humanitarian crisis unfolding, with hundreds of thousands displaced. Both countries should prioritize protecting noncombatants and providing emergency assistance to affected communities.

  4. This conflict seems to be spiraling out of control. The use of heavy weapons like artillery and mortars against civilian areas is completely unacceptable. I hope the international community can pressure Thailand and Cambodia to implement an immediate ceasefire and return to the negotiating table.

    • Agreed. The escalating violence and disregard for civilian safety is deeply troubling. Third-party mediation may be required to bring these two countries back from the brink of full-scale war.

  5. Lucas Rodriguez on

    This is a concerning development. Civilians should never be caught in the crossfire of border conflicts. I hope both sides can de-escalate tensions and find a diplomatic solution to their longstanding disputes.

    • Jennifer Hernandez on

      Agreed. The humanitarian toll of this renewed fighting is deeply troubling. Both Thailand and Cambodia need to prioritize protecting innocent lives and providing aid to the displaced.

  6. It’s unfortunate to see the ceasefire collapse and this conflict reignite. Territorial disputes between neighboring countries are often complex, with no easy solutions. I hope both sides can show restraint and focus on negotiations to reach a peaceful settlement.

    • Absolutely. These border skirmishes have a history of flaring up and causing immense suffering. The leaders of Thailand and Cambodia must demonstrate statesmanship and put the wellbeing of their citizens first.

Leave A Reply

A professional organisation dedicated to combating disinformation through cutting-edge research, advanced monitoring tools, and coordinated response strategies.

Company

Disinformation Commission LLC
30 N Gould ST STE R
Sheridan, WY 82801
USA

© 2026 Disinformation Commission LLC. All rights reserved.