Listen to the article

0:00
0:00

French First Lady Defends Controversial Remarks About Feminist Protesters

France’s First Lady Brigitte Macron has acknowledged using “clumsy” language after being caught on camera using a sexist slur to describe feminist protesters who disrupted a theater performance earlier this month.

In a video interview published Monday evening with online media outlet Brut, Macron defended her remarks, emphasizing they were made during what she believed was a private moment backstage at the Folies Bergère theatre in Paris.

“I completely understand that some people were shocked, but it absolutely wasn’t meant to be public,” Macron said in the interview. “I am not always the wife of the president of the Republic. I also have a private life and this was a private moment.”

The incident occurred when Macron was speaking with French actor and humorist Ary Abittan before his performance. The previous evening, feminist campaigners had disrupted Abittan’s show with shouts of “Abittan, rapist!” When Abittan expressed fear about potential disruptions, Macron was recorded using the derogatory term to refer to the protesters, adding, “We’ll toss them out.”

The comments sparked immediate backlash from anti-sexual violence campaigners and political opponents of her husband, President Emmanuel Macron, in a country where discussions about sexism and sexual violence have gained significant traction in recent years.

“I am sorry if I hurt women victims. It’s them and just them that I am thinking of,” Macron said in her interview. “I certainly wouldn’t have used those terms in public.”

Despite her apology for the language used, the First Lady defended her support for Abittan and criticized the protesters’ methods. “I cannot bear that a performance is interrupted. Someone is on stage. He is trying to give everything that he can give. How does he carry on afterward? What is the meaning of this censorship being placed on artists? It’s something that I don’t understand. We aren’t judges.”

The controversy touches on broader tensions in French society regarding how sexual assault allegations are handled in the public sphere, particularly when they involve public figures. Abittan had been accused of rape in 2021, but magistrates terminated the investigation earlier this year due to lack of evidence, a decision later confirmed on appeal in January.

The feminist collective “Nous Toutes” (“All of Us”), which organized the protest, has defended its actions as necessary to challenge what it describes as “the culture of impunity” surrounding sexual violence in France. The group has been at the forefront of efforts to raise awareness about sexual violence and harassment since France’s own #MeToo movement gained momentum.

When asked if she regretted her comments, Macron struck a defiant tone while acknowledging her poor choice of words. “I cannot regret speaking. I don’t want to regret. It is true that I am the wife of the president of the Republic, but I am also myself above anything. And when I am in private, it’s true that I can let myself go in a way that is absolutely not adequate but I needed to reassure him.”

She added, “I reassured him certainly in a way that was clumsy. But I had no other words at my disposal at that moment. And regardless, I think we have a right to speak and the right to think.”

The controversy highlights the ongoing challenges of navigating public and private roles for those in positions of influence. As First Lady, Brigitte Macron has typically maintained a dignified public persona while advocating for education and anti-bullying initiatives, making this unguarded moment all the more striking to the French public.

The incident also underscores the tensions between supporting due process in sexual assault cases while respecting the concerns of advocacy groups fighting against sexual violence and gender-based discrimination in France.

Fact Checker

Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.

5 Comments

  1. Patricia Williams on

    The First Lady’s comments were insensitive, even if unintentional. Dismissing feminist protesters as a nuisance is counterproductive. All voices deserve to be heard, even if we don’t agree. I hope this incident leads to more thoughtful dialogue around gender equality in France.

  2. Isabella Garcia on

    The First Lady’s comments were disappointing, even if unintentional. Feminists deserve to have their voices heard, not dismissed as a nuisance. I hope this leads to more thoughtful dialogue on how to address systemic gender inequalities in France.

  3. While I respect the First Lady’s desire for privacy, using sexist language to dismiss feminist protesters is unacceptable. As a leader, she should model respect and inclusivity, even when facing disruption. This is an opportunity to engage more constructively on gender equality issues.

  4. Isabella Taylor on

    I’m surprised the First Lady used such derogatory language, even in a private setting. While I understand the desire to maintain privacy, public figures have a responsibility to set a good example. Hopefully this leads to self-reflection and a more inclusive approach moving forward.

  5. This is a tricky situation. While I understand the First Lady’s comments were meant to be private, using sexist language is never acceptable, even in the heat of the moment. Feminist protesters deserve to be heard, not dismissed. The First Lady should apologize and reflect on how to address these issues more sensitively in the future.

Leave A Reply

A professional organisation dedicated to combating disinformation through cutting-edge research, advanced monitoring tools, and coordinated response strategies.

Company

Disinformation Commission LLC
30 N Gould ST STE R
Sheridan, WY 82801
USA

© 2026 Disinformation Commission LLC. All rights reserved.