Listen to the article
A federal appeals court has ruled in favor of the Trump administration’s bid to continue the National Guard deployment in Washington, D.C., signaling the court may ultimately find the presence of troops in the nation’s capital to be lawful.
In a unanimous decision issued Wednesday, the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals’ three-judge panel indefinitely paused a previous lower court order that would have required President Donald Trump to withdraw thousands of Guardsmen from the capital. The appeals court had temporarily frozen the same order while considering whether to extend the pause for a longer period.
The ruling now permits Trump to maintain National Guard members in D.C. through the end of February. The appeals court determined that the city’s unique status as a federal district created by Congress makes it likely that Trump will prevail in the lawsuit brought by D.C.’s attorney general challenging the deployment.
“The President’s order implicates a strong and distinctive interest in the protection of federal governmental functions and property within the Nation’s capital,” wrote Judge Patricia Millett, an Obama appointee, in the court’s decision. She also pointed to D.C.’s attorney general failing to identify “any ongoing injury to its statutory interests.”
Had the court not intervened, Judge Millett warned there would be a “profound level of disruption to the lives of thousands of service members who have been deployed for four months already.”
The other two judges on the panel were appointed to the bench by Trump during his first term in office.
The legal battle began in September when D.C. Attorney General Brian Schwalb sued the Trump administration over the troops’ deployment, arguing it constituted an illegal infringement on the city’s law enforcement autonomy. Schwalb had previously asked a judge to pause the deployment while the case remained pending.
In their order, the judges noted that while the National Guard deployment in D.C. is likely within the president’s authority, the same cannot be said for cities that have not requested federal troops. “Deploying an out-of-state Guard to a non-consenting State to conduct law enforcement would be constitutionally troubling to our federal system of government,” the order states.
This distinction is significant as the Trump administration faces similar legal challenges in other jurisdictions where National Guard troops have been deployed without local consent. Federal courts are currently reviewing cases related to Guard deployments in Portland, Oregon, and Los Angeles, where judges have issued different rulings on presidential authority.
The appeals court acknowledged that their assessment was preliminary and “hurried,” but emphasized that the stay pending appeal is an “extraordinary remedy” resulting from the Trump administration making “a strong showing that [the case] is likely to succeed” in its appeal of the lower court ruling.
“The Defendants have demonstrated on this preliminary record that they will likely succeed in showing that the guard deployments are lawful” under both local and federal law, the judges wrote.
The deployment of National Guard troops in Washington, D.C. has been controversial since it began four months ago. The Trump administration has maintained that the troops are necessary to protect federal property and maintain public safety in the nation’s capital, while critics argue it represents federal overreach into local governance.
The Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia expressed confidence in its case despite this setback. In a statement, the office said: “This is a preliminary ruling that does not resolve the merits. We look forward to continuing our case in both the District and appellate courts.”
The case highlights ongoing tensions between federal authority and local governance in the District of Columbia, which lacks the full autonomy of a state but maintains certain self-governing powers. The final resolution of this case could have significant implications for presidential power and federalism, particularly regarding the deployment of military personnel for domestic purposes.
Fact Checker
Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.


8 Comments
This ruling puts more power in the president’s hands regarding the National Guard deployment. Curious to see if it holds up on further appeal.
Indeed, the appeals court seemed to give significant deference to the executive branch’s authority over federal property and functions in DC.
This ruling seems to give the Trump administration more leeway to maintain the Guard presence, at least for now. I wonder if the city will pursue further legal challenges.
Yes, it will be worth following the next steps in this legal battle. The court’s reasoning about the capital’s federal status seems pivotal.
An interesting legal battle unfolding over the limits of presidential power when it comes to deploying the National Guard in the nation’s capital. Lots of important constitutional questions at stake.
The court’s decision highlights the complex jurisdictional issues at play when federal and local authorities clash over the use of the National Guard. Lots of nuance to unpack here.
Interesting development on the National Guard deployment in DC. Curious to see how the legal arguments play out, given the unique status of the capital as a federal district.
The court’s emphasis on the capital’s unique status as a federal district created by Congress seems crucial to their reasoning. I wonder how much that will sway the final outcome.