Listen to the article
South Korean actor Lee Yi-kyung’s ongoing sexual assault case took a dramatic turn on Friday as his accuser appeared to walk back earlier statements, suggesting they now possess evidence that could support their allegations against the 34-year-old celebrity.
The accuser, identified only as “A” in Korean media reports, posted a cryptic message on social media that has reignited public interest in the case that has rocked South Korea’s entertainment industry since allegations first emerged last month.
“I will soon reveal clear evidence. I wanted to resolve this privately, but I can no longer stay silent,” the accuser wrote, according to translations of the original Korean post. The message contrasts sharply with statements made earlier this week when the same individual had expressed doubts about pursuing the case further.
Law enforcement officials confirmed to Korean news outlets that they continue to investigate the complaint filed against Lee, who rose to prominence through roles in popular K-dramas including “School 2013” and “Go Back Couple.” The Seoul Metropolitan Police Department declined to provide specific details, citing the sensitive nature of the ongoing investigation.
Lee’s agency, HB Entertainment, responded swiftly to the latest developments. “These inconsistent statements only further demonstrate the baseless nature of these allegations,” a spokesperson said. “Our client maintains his complete innocence and is cooperating fully with authorities.”
Industry analysts note that the case comes amid heightened scrutiny of power dynamics in South Korea’s entertainment sector. Several high-profile sexual misconduct allegations have emerged in recent years, sparking what some call Korea’s own #MeToo movement.
“These cases often play out in the court of public opinion before they reach actual courtrooms,” said Kim Min-ji, a Seoul-based entertainment industry observer. “The back-and-forth nature of this particular case makes it especially difficult to navigate for all parties involved.”
The timing is particularly challenging for Lee, who was preparing for the release of a new television series before the allegations surfaced. Production company executives, speaking on condition of anonymity, indicated that marketing plans have been put on hold while awaiting resolution of the case.
South Korean entertainment contracts typically include morality clauses that can be triggered by such allegations, regardless of their ultimate validity. Several brands that had endorsement deals with Lee have already distanced themselves, pulling advertisements featuring the actor from circulation.
The case highlights the intensely public nature of such allegations in South Korea’s celebrity culture. Social media platforms have become battlegrounds where supporters and critics alike dissect every development, often with limited information about the actual facts.
Legal experts caution that sexual assault investigations are complex and often protracted. “These cases frequently involve contradictory statements and changing narratives,” said Park Sung-woo, a criminal defense attorney not involved in the case. “This doesn’t necessarily indicate dishonesty from either party, as trauma can affect recollection, and the stakes are extremely high for everyone involved.”
The Korean Entertainment Management Association issued a statement calling for restraint in public commentary. “We urge respect for the legal process and the privacy of all individuals connected to this case,” the statement read. “Premature judgments serve no one and can cause lasting harm.”
Lee, who has maintained a complete public silence since the allegations emerged, is reportedly cooperating with investigators while remaining secluded at a private residence. Sources close to the actor described him as “devastated” by the allegations but determined to clear his name.
The case remains under active investigation, with authorities expected to provide an update in the coming weeks. If charged and convicted, Lee could face substantial prison time under South Korea’s sexual crime statutes, which have been strengthened in recent years in response to public concern over such offenses.
For now, the entertainment industry watches closely, aware that the outcome could have implications that extend far beyond one actor’s career.
Fact Checker
Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.


10 Comments
This case highlights the importance of allowing the legal process to play out, regardless of the fame or status of those involved. I hope the authorities can conduct a thorough and impartial investigation that leads to a just outcome.
Sexual assault allegations can be deeply complex, and it’s crucial that they are investigated thoroughly and objectively. I hope this case can serve as a reminder of the need for a fair and transparent justice system, even when high-profile individuals are involved.
This case is a reminder of the need for clear and consistent policies around how sexual assault allegations are handled, especially when high-profile individuals are involved. Transparency and due process are essential in these sensitive situations.
The accuser’s claim of having new evidence is intriguing. I’m curious to see how this development will impact the investigation and the public’s perception of the case. Handling these types of allegations requires a delicate balance of fairness and sensitivity.
The accuser’s reversal and claim of having evidence is certainly an intriguing development. I’m curious to see what this new evidence entails and how it might impact the investigation. Allegations of sexual assault should always be taken seriously and investigated properly.
Agreed. The public deserves transparency, but the privacy of those involved must also be respected during the investigation. I hope the truth comes to light, whatever it may be.
This case highlights the complexities and challenges around sexual assault allegations, especially when high-profile figures are involved. I hope the authorities can navigate this sensitively and impartially to determine the facts.
It’s good to hear that the police are continuing their investigation despite the accuser’s earlier doubts. These types of cases can be very delicate, and it’s important that all evidence is thoroughly examined before any conclusions are drawn.
The entertainment industry often puts celebrities on a pedestal, but they should be held to the same standards of accountability as anyone else. I hope this case serves as a reminder that no one is above the law when it comes to serious allegations.
This case seems quite complex and sensitive. I hope the authorities can conduct a thorough and impartial investigation to get to the truth of the matter. It’s important that both sides are heard and that justice is served, regardless of the celebrity status of the accused.