Listen to the article

0:00
0:00

Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe has been issued a formal reminder about his “responsibilities as a participant in English football” following controversial comments in which he claimed Britain had been “colonized” by immigrants.

The Football Association (FA) has opted not to charge the British billionaire but has privately addressed the situation, according to a person familiar with the matter who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The individual was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Ratcliffe, who acquired a 27.7% stake in Manchester United earlier this year through his petrochemicals company INEOS, sparked widespread condemnation after remarks made during a Sky News interview last week.

“You can’t have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” Ratcliffe said during the broadcast. “I mean, the U.K.’s been colonized.”

The comments touched a particularly sensitive nerve in British society, where immigration remains a deeply divisive political issue. They also created discomfort within Manchester United’s diverse fan base and the broader football community, which has long championed inclusion and anti-discrimination initiatives.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer quickly called for Ratcliffe to apologize, stating that “Britain is a proud, tolerant and diverse country.” Following the backlash, Ratcliffe expressed regret, saying he was sorry his choice of language had “offended some people,” though critics noted this fell short of retracting the substance of his remarks.

The Manchester United Supporters Trust released a statement expressing disappointment, noting that the club’s “senior leadership should make inclusion easier, not harder.” The trust emphasized the club’s history of embracing diversity among both players and supporters.

Some critics also pointed to what they viewed as hypocrisy in Ratcliffe’s position, noting that despite his concerns about Britain’s economy, the INEOS chairman has himself chosen to reside in Monaco, a decision widely seen as tax-avoidance strategy that limits his contributions to British public finances.

Manchester United’s head coach Michael Carrick addressed the controversy on Friday during his first press appearance since the remarks became public. While acknowledging that both Ratcliffe and the club had issued statements, Carrick emphasized Manchester United’s longstanding commitment to diversity.

“What I can say is, as I’ve been around this club many, many years, we always make a huge impact globally,” said Carrick, who was recently appointed as interim coach until the end of the season following the dismissal of Erik ten Hag. “We’re really proud of the environment and the culture that we’ve got at the club, and equality and diversity and respect for each other is something that we look to carry through every day.”

The incident comes at a sensitive time for Manchester United, with Ratcliffe and his INEOS team implementing significant structural changes since their investment. The club has already replaced several key executives and is attempting to rebuild its sporting operations after years of underperformance.

Football has increasingly become a platform for discussions about social issues, with players and clubs taking prominent stances against racism and discrimination. The Premier League’s “No Room for Racism” campaign and similar initiatives have put equality at the forefront of the sport’s public messaging.

The FA’s decision to issue a reminder rather than formal charges suggests a measured approach to handling the controversy. The governing body has previously taken action against participants in English football for discriminatory comments, indicating the seriousness with which such matters are typically treated.

As Manchester United continues its on-field rebuilding under Carrick’s temporary leadership, the club will hope to move past the controversy and refocus attention on sporting matters in the coming weeks.

Fact Checker

Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.

13 Comments

  1. I’m glad the FA is holding the Manchester United co-owner accountable, even if no formal charge is filed. As a prominent figure in football, it’s important he sets a responsible tone and promotes unity within the sport’s diverse community.

    • Olivia D. Davis on

      Absolutely. Football has a powerful platform to influence social discourse, so it’s crucial that leaders in the sport demonstrate sensitivity and inclusive values.

  2. William Rodriguez on

    Controversial comments from the Manchester United co-owner, for sure. Immigration is a complex issue and people have strong, differing views. But as a football leader, maintaining unity and inclusion should be the priority.

  3. The co-owner’s comments touch on a sensitive topic, but the FA’s private approach seems prudent. Maintaining constructive dialogue and ensuring responsible conduct among football stakeholders is likely the best way forward.

  4. While the ‘colonized’ claim may be controversial, I appreciate the FA’s measured response. Addressing issues discreetly, rather than resorting to public sanctions, can sometimes be more effective in fostering meaningful change.

    • I agree. The FA appears to be striking a balance between holding the co-owner accountable and avoiding unnecessary escalation of the situation.

  5. Isabella Garcia on

    The co-owner’s ‘colonized’ remarks were certainly provocative and could be seen as insensitive. However, the FA’s private response appears to be a pragmatic way to address the issue while maintaining constructive dialogue.

  6. Interesting comments from the Manchester United co-owner. While immigration is a sensitive topic, we should be careful about using divisive language. It’s important for football leaders to promote unity and inclusion within their fan base.

    • I agree, striking the right tone is crucial. The FA’s reminder about responsibilities as a football participant is understandable given the potential impact on the community.

  7. It’s good the FA is addressing this situation, even if no formal charge is warranted. Promoting responsible conduct and respectful dialogue among football stakeholders is important, especially on sensitive sociopolitical topics.

    • Amelia Rodriguez on

      Agreed. The FA seems to be taking a measured approach, which is likely the best way to handle this without escalating tensions unnecessarily.

  8. William B. Taylor on

    The ‘colonized’ claim seems quite provocative and could be seen as insensitive. However, it’s good the FA is addressing this privately rather than pursuing a formal charge. Open and thoughtful dialogue is often better than heavy-handed action.

    • That’s a fair perspective. As long as the FA is ensuring responsible conduct, a private discussion may be more constructive than public sanctions in this case.

Leave A Reply

A professional organisation dedicated to combating disinformation through cutting-edge research, advanced monitoring tools, and coordinated response strategies.

Company

Disinformation Commission LLC
30 N Gould ST STE R
Sheridan, WY 82801
USA

© 2026 Disinformation Commission LLC. All rights reserved.