Listen to the article
A Canberra resident has confronted a neo-Nazi distributing racist material in a bold stance against the spread of white nationalist propaganda that has been appearing across multiple Australian cities in recent weeks.
The Greenway local told the Canberra Times he was returning from work when he spotted a man handing out “White Australia” leaflets and decided to challenge him directly.
“It’s honestly really disgusting this kind of racism is happening in our city, and that people feel bold enough to just do it out in the open,” the resident said.
According to his account, the man claimed to represent an organization committed to “advancing and preserving white Australians.” The leaflets contained symbols connected to the Nationalist Socialist Network (NSN), a known extremist group led by Thomas Sewell.
These incidents are not isolated to Canberra. Similar leaflets have appeared in Sydney, where they have been placed on parked cars during nighttime hours, apparently to avoid public detection. In South Australia’s Mitcham area, residents have discovered the inflammatory material in their letterboxes.
The content of the flyers expresses opposition to non-European immigration and makes claims about Australia becoming “less white and more brown”—rhetoric characteristic of white nationalist movements.
One Mitcham resident who received the flyer on Tuesday expressed their shock to The Advertiser, saying they were “shocked to find this racist rubbish stuffed in the letter box” and had “never received anything so extreme and offensive.”
The distribution campaign appears to be part of a broader recruitment effort by the NSN, whose leader, Sewell, is currently facing charges over an alleged attack on a First Nations protest site in Melbourne. Notably, Sewell himself is not Australian-born, having immigrated to Melbourne after being born in New Zealand to South African parents.
The NSN has gained notoriety through a series of provocative public stunts targeting political figures. During this year’s federal election campaign, they ambushed Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and several other MPs, creating confrontational scenes designed to attract attention and publicity.
Just last week, Joel Davis, described as Sewell’s second-in-command, was refused bail and remanded in custody after allegedly threatening to “rhetorically rape” New South Wales independent MP Allegra Spender. The court deemed Davis an unacceptable risk for further offending.
The appearance of these materials comes at a time of increasing concern about far-right extremism in Australia. Security agencies have noted the growing threat posed by such groups, which often use social media and public stunts to amplify their message and recruit new members.
Community leaders and anti-racism advocates have called for vigilance in identifying and reporting such activities. Many local councils have policies against the distribution of hate material and encourage residents to report incidents to police.
Law enforcement authorities across multiple states continue to monitor the activities of groups like the NSN, particularly as they escalate their public campaigns and recruitment efforts. In some jurisdictions, the distribution of material that incites hatred or threatens violence based on racial grounds may constitute a criminal offense.
The spread of these leaflets across multiple Australian states indicates a coordinated effort by white nationalist groups to expand their reach and visibility, challenging Australia’s multicultural identity and testing the boundaries of free speech protections against hate speech laws.
Fact Checker
Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.


14 Comments
It’s sad to see this white nationalist ideology spreading across Australia. We must confront it head-on with facts, compassion and a commitment to inclusivity.
Absolutely. Education and open dialogue are key to combating such divisive propaganda and promoting true diversity and equality.
It’s deeply disturbing to see these hateful ideologies gaining traction. We must remain vigilant and proactively counter this with messages of tolerance and unity.
Well said. Grassroots efforts to educate the public and support affected communities will be crucial in pushing back against this poison.
The normalization of such extreme right-wing views is a serious threat to social cohesion. We must remain vigilant and take firm action to prevent further radicalization.
Absolutely right. Allowing this to continue unchecked risks emboldening these groups and fueling further divisions within Australian society.
This is a concerning trend that requires a strong, unified response from all parts of society. Extremist views like these have no place in a modern, multicultural Australia.
You’re right, we can’t be complacent. Local authorities and community leaders need to take decisive action to shut down this activity and support affected residents.
This is a worrying development that requires a strong, coordinated response from all levels of government and civil society. Allowing this propaganda to spread unchecked is unacceptable.
I couldn’t agree more. Robust laws and enforcement are needed to shut down these hate groups and protect vulnerable communities from their influence.
The spread of neo-Nazi propaganda is alarming and must be swiftly condemned. Diversity and inclusion are core Australian values that we cannot allow to be eroded.
I agree, this is a dangerous escalation that demands immediate action. We need robust measures to identify and disrupt these extremist networks.
This kind of racist propaganda has no place in a diverse, tolerant society. Spreading extremist views like this is deeply concerning and we must stand united against it.
Agreed, this behavior is completely unacceptable. Local communities need to be vigilant and challenge these hateful messages whenever they appear.