Listen to the article

0:00
0:00

Federal authorities who seized electronic devices from a Washington Post reporter’s home last month are “running roughshod” over First Amendment protections, an attorney for the newspaper argued during a court hearing Friday in Alexandria, Virginia.

The case centers on devices taken from Post reporter Hannah Natanson’s home during an FBI raid on January 14, which was authorized by U.S. Magistrate Judge William Porter. Agents seized a phone, two laptops, a recorder, a portable hard drive, and a Garmin smart watch as part of an investigation into classified information allegedly leaked to Natanson by a Pentagon contractor.

Porter, who presided over Friday’s hearing, indicated he would issue a decision before the next scheduled hearing on March 4. “I have a pretty good sense of what I’m going to do here,” the magistrate said, without elaborating on his intended ruling.

The Post’s legal team is seeking the immediate return of Natanson’s devices, arguing that the seizure has had a chilling effect on her reporting. Simon Latcovich, an attorney representing the newspaper, told the court that Natanson’s devices contained information that could expose hundreds of confidential sources who regularly provided her with numerous tips daily.

“Since the seizure, those sources have dried up,” Latcovich said, highlighting the immediate impact on Natanson’s journalistic work.

The Pentagon contractor at the center of the investigation, Aurelio Luis Perez-Lugones, was arrested on January 8 and charged with unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents. According to authorities, Perez-Lugones allegedly took home printouts of classified materials from his workplace and later shared them with Natanson.

During the hearing, Porter expressed frustration with the Justice Department for failing to invoke the Privacy Protection Act when applying for the search warrant. This law provides special protections for journalists’ materials, particularly when the journalist is not a target of the investigation.

“I certainly understand your frustration,” Justice Department attorney Gordon Kromberg told the judge.

“That’s minimizing it,” Porter replied sharply.

The Washington Post’s attorneys argued that federal authorities violated legal safeguards designed to protect journalists and infringed upon Natanson’s First Amendment rights. They requested that if the judge intends to review the material privately before deciding what can be shown to the government, Post attorneys should be allowed to see it first to argue for keeping sensitive information confidential.

Justice Department attorney Christian Dibblee acknowledged the limitations of the search warrant, stating, “The government does take that seriously.” However, government lawyers maintained they are entitled to keep the seized materials because they contain evidence relevant to an ongoing national security investigation.

The case has attracted significant attention from press freedom advocates, who view it as part of a concerning pattern of increasingly aggressive tactics by the Justice Department in leak investigations involving journalists.

“There is a pattern here, your honor, that this is a part of,” Latcovich told the court.

Last month, Judge Porter temporarily barred the government from reviewing any material from Natanson’s devices while he considers the newspaper’s request.

The seizure comes amid growing tensions between media organizations and federal authorities over press freedoms and the protection of journalistic sources. Media advocates argue that such actions can discourage whistleblowers from coming forward with information of public interest, while government officials maintain that unauthorized disclosures of classified information can pose serious national security risks.

The Post’s legal challenge represents a significant test case for journalistic protections in the digital age, where reporters’ electronic devices often contain vast amounts of information about sources and unpublished materials that traditionally received strong legal protections under U.S. law.

Fact Checker

Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.

10 Comments

  1. This case highlights the ongoing challenge of balancing national security and press freedom. While I understand the government’s concerns about leaked information, seizing a reporter’s devices could set a dangerous precedent. I’m curious to see how the judge navigates this complex issue.

    • Well said. It’s a delicate balance, and the judge will need to carefully weigh the implications for both sides. The outcome of this case could have far-reaching consequences for journalism and the public’s access to information.

  2. Jennifer Jones on

    This case raises important questions about the limits of government power and the role of the free press. While national security is a valid concern, the seizure of a reporter’s devices could have a chilling effect on investigative journalism. I’ll be interested to see how the judge navigates this complex issue.

    • Isabella Garcia on

      Well said. The outcome of this case could set an important precedent. Maintaining a free and independent press is crucial for a healthy democracy, even as the government seeks to protect sensitive information. It’s a delicate balance that the judge will have to carefully consider.

  3. As someone interested in the mining and energy sectors, I’m following this case with great interest. Unfettered press access is crucial for uncovering issues in these industries, which can have major implications for the public. I hope the judge rules in favor of press freedom in this instance.

    • Jennifer Hernandez on

      I agree. Transparency in the mining and energy sectors is so important, especially given their environmental and economic impacts. The media must be able to do its job without undue government interference.

  4. This is a concerning case that highlights the tension between press freedom and national security. The government’s seizure of a reporter’s devices could have a chilling effect on journalism and the public’s right to information. I’m curious to see how the judge will rule on balancing these important interests.

    • Liam F. Johnson on

      You raise a good point. The media plays a vital role in a healthy democracy, but the government also has a duty to protect sensitive information. It will be interesting to see how the courts navigate this delicate balance.

  5. As someone who follows the mining and commodities space closely, I’m interested to see how this case unfolds. Protecting sources and maintaining press freedom is crucial for uncovering important issues in these industries. I hope the judge rules in favor of the Washington Post and press rights.

    • Absolutely. Robust journalism is essential for keeping the public informed about developments in the mining and energy sectors, which can have significant economic and environmental impacts. The judge’s decision will be closely watched.

Leave A Reply

A professional organisation dedicated to combating disinformation through cutting-edge research, advanced monitoring tools, and coordinated response strategies.

Company

Disinformation Commission LLC
30 N Gould ST STE R
Sheridan, WY 82801
USA

© 2026 Disinformation Commission LLC. All rights reserved.