Listen to the article

0:00
0:00

The father of a U.S. Marine killed in Afghanistan has condemned the former Biden administration following an incident where an Afghan national allegedly shot two National Guardsmen near the White House. The shooting has reignited debate over the vetting process for Afghan evacuees brought to America during the chaotic 2021 withdrawal.

Darin Hoover, whose son Staff Sgt. Darin “Taylor” Hoover was one of 13 U.S. service members killed in the Abbey Gate bombing during the Afghanistan withdrawal, delivered a forceful statement blaming the Biden administration for inadequate screening of Afghan evacuees.

“This is on the feckless Biden administration,” Hoover said. “We had no idea who was getting into this country because the Biden administration, especially the State Department run by Antony Blinken, didn’t do the work that was needed to vet all these people.”

The FBI is leading the investigation into Wednesday’s shooting, with multiple intelligence sources indicating the attack is being treated as a possible act of international terrorism. The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, allegedly ambushed two West Virginia National Guardsmen blocks from the White House.

Reports indicate that Lakanwal entered the United States in September 2021 under Operation Allies Welcome following the fall of Kabul. Sources revealed he had worked with several U.S. government entities in Afghanistan, including the CIA, as part of a partner force in Kandahar.

Former CIA Director John Ratcliffe echoed Hoover’s concerns, stating, “The individual — and so many others — should have never been allowed to come here. Our citizens and service members deserve far better than to endure the ongoing fallout from the Biden administration’s catastrophic failures.”

Hoover’s son Taylor was an 11-year Marine veteran on his third deployment to Afghanistan when he was killed in the August 26, 2021, suicide bombing at Abbey Gate. He was engaged to be married and is a Purple Heart recipient.

The Gold Star father has been one of the most vocal parents demanding accountability for the Abbey Gate attack. Earlier this year, Hoover made headlines when he reacted to then-President Biden claiming during a presidential debate that no U.S. service members had died under his watch.

“The rage, the absolute disgust that I got from hearing him say that — I started yelling back at the TV,” Hoover recounted at the time. “He’s never acknowledged, not one time, any of our kids. He’s never said their names.”

Hoover previously revealed that the Biden administration sent identical condolence letters to all 13 families a year after the attack, describing them as appearing to be photocopies. He has also expressed frustration at being unable to secure a meeting with Biden.

The shooting incident has highlighted the ongoing security concerns related to the Afghan evacuation program. At the height of the withdrawal, thousands of Afghans were airlifted out of Kabul in a frantic operation. Critics, including Hoover, have consistently questioned whether proper vetting procedures were followed during the rushed evacuation.

“We had no idea who Biden put on those planes,” Hoover stated. “None.”

The incident comes as U.S. officials continue to grapple with the aftermath of the Afghanistan withdrawal, widely regarded as one of the most chaotic military evacuations in recent history. The suicide bombing at Abbey Gate killed 13 U.S. service members and approximately 170 Afghan civilians in the deadliest day for American troops in Afghanistan since 2011.

For Hoover and other Gold Star families, this latest incident represents a devastating new chapter that demonstrates the consequences of the troubled evacuation are still unfolding on American soil.

As the investigation continues, Hoover has pledged to keep speaking out until the families of those killed at Abbey Gate receive answers and accountability. “This isn’t going away,” he said. “We’re not going away.”

Federal officials have indicated the investigation into the shooting remains active, with authorities examining Lakanwal’s background and possible motives.

Fact Checker

Verify the accuracy of this article using The Disinformation Commission analysis and real-time sources.

14 Comments

  1. This is a concerning and tragic incident. We need to thoroughly investigate the vetting process for Afghan evacuees to ensure proper security measures are in place. The safety of our citizens and service members must be the top priority.

    • I agree that the vetting process needs to be reviewed and strengthened. We cannot afford any lapses that could put American lives at risk.

  2. This is a highly charged political issue, but the core concerns around national security and vetting of Afghan evacuees are valid regardless of partisan affiliation. We need solutions, not partisan posturing.

    • Well said. This is a complex challenge that requires a collaborative, evidence-based approach, not political grandstanding. The safety of all Americans should be the top priority.

  3. Isabella F. Thompson on

    The concerns raised by the Gold Star father highlight the need for a thorough review of the vetting procedures for Afghan evacuees. We must balance national security with our humanitarian obligations.

    • Absolutely. Getting this balance right is critical. Any missteps could have devastating consequences. Policymakers must approach this issue with the utmost care and diligence.

  4. Michael K. Smith on

    The Gold Star father’s criticism of the Biden administration’s handling of the Afghan withdrawal and resettlement is understandable. We must learn from this experience to improve future crisis response efforts.

  5. Tragic that a Gold Star family is dealing with this additional pain. The Biden administration should take these criticisms seriously and work to restore trust in the vetting process for Afghan evacuees.

  6. This is a complex issue with valid concerns on all sides. We need a thoughtful, nuanced approach that balances national security with our humanitarian obligations. Rushing the vetting process could have dire consequences.

    • William Miller on

      You’re right, this requires a delicate balance. Any missteps could put innocent lives at risk. Careful policymaking and rigorous implementation are critical.

  7. The Gold Star father’s comments highlight the valid concerns many have about the Afghanistan withdrawal and subsequent resettlement efforts. Maintaining homeland security while providing humanitarian aid is a delicate balance.

    • Absolutely. We need to find the right approach that upholds our values while prioritizing public safety. This will require careful policymaking and diligent implementation.

  8. Amelia L. Martin on

    Tragic that a Gold Star family is now dealing with this additional pain. The Biden administration should take these criticisms seriously and work to restore public confidence in the Afghan evacuee vetting process.

  9. Robert J. Jackson on

    This is a complex issue with valid concerns on all sides. We need a thoughtful, nuanced approach that prioritizes public safety while upholding our values. Rushing the vetting process could have dire consequences.

Leave A Reply

A professional organisation dedicated to combating disinformation through cutting-edge research, advanced monitoring tools, and coordinated response strategies.

Company

Disinformation Commission LLC
30 N Gould ST STE R
Sheridan, WY 82801
USA

© 2025 Disinformation Commission LLC. All rights reserved.